Saturday, February 14, 2009

How the Little Blue Box Scams Those In Love


I am among that part of the population who isn't particularly a fan of this stupid holiday we called Valentine's Day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine

Today I did something somewhat stupid as I walked over to Tiffany & Co. http://www.tiffany.ca/default.aspx/?omcid=CAG300&iq_id=5639191 on Bloor Street in Toronto.
If there is one place that a hater of this holiday should not be, it would be this jewelry store. Although I went in to exchange a gift, I was surrounded by happy couples buying Tiffany. Every display had their featured jewelry, every item consisting of a heart, aimed to catch the eye of the husband who forgot it was Valentine's Day until today. One thing that I realized today was how expensive jewelry stores such as Tiffany &Co. thrive off of this stupid hallmark holiday. The fact that a husband or boyfriend knows that just buying a simple necklace with a floating heart (which you can really get anywhere) will buy their significant other's love is a negative reflection on our society.


I mean, I understand buying an extravagant gift such as this for a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary, but a hallmark holiday? I just don't think its worth the $200, especially when were in a recession.


Now don't get me wrong, If I had all of the money in the world I would buy the whole store, but I just become confused why Valentine's Day has become a reason to buy your loved one a VERY expensive gift.
Share your thoughts! Do you like this holiday??